Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lest We Forget, America's Tragedy


I do not need to go into details about what happened on September 11, 2001.  If you are uninformed, blame your history teacher, your parents and this country for the lack of education on one of the most important events in our modern day America; an event that forever changed our sense of freedoms and entitlements in our great nation.




I do not need to tell you where I was, who I was with, how I learned about it, where I ran to, the lack of a working phone connection, or my reaction.  As a military spouse living on the east coast of America, you can just assume that I knew things.

I do not need to go into details about my husband's scheduled deployment for a week after these attacks was instantly negated and how spontaneous deployments still actually happen.

I do not need to tell you about how I didn't shut the television off for well over a month and even left it on when I went to class.  I also do not need to tell you that the very first day they reopened the airports I was on a flight to Chicago because my grandfather passed away a few days after these horrific events.

I do not want to tell you that some of my grandfather's dying words were, "You tell -- to go get 'em." My grandfather was a man of the Greatest Generation.  A man that not only knew about terrorism at it's finest, but fought long and hard to make sure history did not repeat itself.  He saw enough blood and death in his time to fill up the minds of all of his grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and beyond.  He saw things that we thought could never happen again let alone on American soil.  My grandfather, of the Greatest Generation, witnessed a far greater evil on his death bed via television than he ever did Boots on Ground in Europe.  My grandfather who wanted to leave this world in peace, now left it with evil doings, once again, etched into his brain.

There are a handful of my grandfather's generation hanging around.  Most of them are blown away by the atrocities of the times.  Some, flat out, don't understand.  What is even worse, their great-grandchildren don't understand.  Why?  Because we, as members of Generation X, have allowed the entitled generation to become so absorbed in self or in modern conveniences that we forget to instill in them Patriotism and morals.  We want them to be our friends, we want them to feel good, and we want them to not be lacking in anything.  We fulfill our longings by over-materializing our children's lives.

While we worry about stuff and feeling good, we forget the people who tried to take away the "feel-good" concept and terrorized us in our greatest city and our capitol.  We have become so self-absorbed that we have forgotten that history teaches... it teaches!!!!

Now we face another version of the same terror that we encountered fourteen years ago.  We are just dancing around the fact that people are dying and we are being threatened.  So many people are blind to what is going on.  People are all wanting to be politically correct and are afraid of hurting people's feelings.

I say, "Who cares!" Hurt their feelings if you are speaking truth!  Jesus wasn't all "PC" about His feelings.  He threw the tables in the temple.  He shook His fist at the nay-sayers.  He wasn't willing to give up because He wanted to make people feel good about themselves.  He wanted truth and justice.  Truth and justice is the only way to go.

The Greatest Generation wanted truth and justice.  They would stop at nothing, even if it meant giving their lives, to promote this concept.  Why have we, in this generation of 2015, chosen to spit in their faces in order to feel good about ourselves.  When we get attacked, once again, feeling good won't matter anymore.  Fighting for our lives will be what takes precedence.

We are living on a slippery slope with outrage against our civil servants, bowing down to political correctness, and falling prey to agenda.  If these things were the feel of the nation in 2001 would there had been the same response, the same sense of patriotism, the same prayer, the same pride, the same bonding and raising of the flag?  No... it would have been more flag buring and celebration because the ever growing Godless nation would see that there was one less police officer to keep the peace hence suffocating the liberlism that is spreading like disease and one less military member to oppress the agenda of the oppression of those likely to kill us for our faith, one less child to grow up indoctrinated with the truth, one less conservative value, one less airplane polluting, one less business creating jobs, one less of everything that this country use to strive for.

.... One less hand pulling us back up the slope we are ever sliding down. 

 Psalm 33: 13 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he chose for his inheritance.


Don't let what our fathers, grand-fathers, or great-grandfathers fought for be in vain.  Remember... educate... and pray.



Where was I on the day that the towers fell to their death?  I was standing in the student center at Old Dominion University with hundreds of other students not only watching airplanes hit the Twin Towers live, but also witnessing thousands of people die as the buildings collapsed.  Together we watched people give up hope and dive out windows.  Together we watched people hold hands and beg for help from the top floors.  Together we watched our nation's military center be attacked.  Together we watched smoke rise from a field in Pennsylvania.  Together we breathed in and out with great sobs in between. 

After I got myself together, I called.... I called everyone I could possibly think of.  No one answered.  Finally I heard from my love and ran home as fast as I could and threw together his sea bag.  He was leaving.  I was alone.

Today I refuse to not educate my children about the greatest tragedy to ever hit American soil.  My children are young but they will not be blind to reality.

"For the Fallen"
By Laurence Binyon

 "They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,...

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam"
 
There are many images form 9-11 that I will never forget.  I cannot put them all here.  But sometimes there is beauty from ashes that will remind us that God will always pull us through any storm.  Even when evil rears its ugly head, the LORD will conquer over all.
 
 
Job 28:28


When I think about 9-11, the first thing I see is this man at rest. I don't know him but I do know his servant's heart and that he is at home with Jesus. I wish that this image could be ingrained into the minds of all Americans so that they can grasp on to some humanity, sense of servitude and Patriotism at its core!

No comments:

Post a Comment