Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sing the Chorus of Joy!

As our home entered into quiet time this afternoon, I pondered a nap as I sorted through some songs on iTunes to download for an upcoming birthday party.  As I found the few last songs and hummed along with them, I was pulled (maybe even sucked) into my Christmas Play list once again.  There are a handful of songs that I dream about blaring through our halls all year long.  I look forward to singing my heart out in praises to our LORD Jesus and Father God.  I linger at the radio waiting for mid-November so I can push that play button.

I fell guilty the other week and listened to a few.  I don't need to defend myself, but I often look at many of these "Christmas" songs as Praise and Worship songs.  There's no mention of Santa, Jingle Bells, or Candy Canes.  There's no mention of Reindeer, Elves, or Presents.  There's only mention of His Presence.  Sure, they may talk about Christmas Bells ringing, but shouldn't that joyful noise be heard all year long?  Shouldn't we bend a knee to that manger in remembrance of the miraculous night that He was born?  Shouldn't we feel the awe that the wise men felt as they humbled themselves before the king?  What a simple way to become absorbed in these feelings through song.

What song would you have heard me singing this afternoon when my nap decided to elude me?  Sidewalk Prophets has some awesome sound, but their lyrics surely bring a joyful noise to my home.

Hope Was Born This Night by Sidewalk Prophets (From the album Merry Christmas to You)

Tonight I can see a star shine
And its splendor fills up the sky
It's the same that appeared
And the wise men revered
When hope was born this night
Out upon the snowy fields
There's a silent peace that heals
And it echoes the grace of our Savior's embrace
Because hope was born this night

Chorus
Glory to God in the highest
Peace on Earth
Goodwill toward men
Let all of the world sing the chorus of joy
Because hope was born this night

I can hear the Christmas bells ringing
As softly a church choir sings
It's the song used to praise
The ancient of days
When hope was born this night
There are angles in this place
And my hear resounded the praise
Like a shepherd so scared
I'll rejoice and declare
That hope was born this night


Gloria (repeats)






Let all of the WORLD sing the chorus of JOY!  What a wonderful testament to our King.  If the world would only open their hearts to these profound yet simple truths.  Please, read these words, listen with your ears, and praise Him through your own joyful noise.

What is on your Christmas Praise and Worship Play List this year? Here are some wonderful suggestions from our home to yours.

Sidewalk Prophets "Merry Christmas to You" album
Fernando Ortega- "Christmas Songs" album
Angels We Have Heard on High- David Archuleta
Do You See What I See?- Third Day
The First Noel- David Archuleta
Go Tell it the Mountain- Jewel
Hark, The Herald Angels Sing- Charlie Brown Christmas
I Pray on Christmas- Harry Connick Jr.
Joseph's Lullaby- Mercy Me
Little Drummer Boy- Pentatonix
Welcome to Our World- Chris Rice
God With Us- Jeremy Camp

Update: The song "Mary Did You Know" by Pentatonix  This song I have by-passed many times.  Maybe it's because of the way it's been performed or the tune, but I clicked the link for this song last night.  I think you should all take a second stab at listening to the lyrics, listen to the voices, and let the meaning sink it.


No comments:

Post a Comment