I am a very lucky person. I have my on personal hero living in my home. Actually, I would consider all of my children my heroes as well, but I will consider my husband the main hero amongst us. He's brave and true. He has been serving in the military for over sixteen years and has attained many awards and recognitions. He has gone on missions that most people would only see in movies. As a matter of fact, my middle daughter always talks about how our lives sometimes feels like a movie.
My husband also works hard to support our decision to homeschool and for me to stay home and raise our children. That is a very important aspect of family, to have each others full support in the most important elements of your family's life.
I am also lucky to know many other heroes: my husband co-workers, my neighbors, my childrens' activity leaders, some friends, people I go to church with, family, and the like. These are people who fight for me, people who educate me, people who lead me, and people I look up to.
These heroes I speak of are not entertainers, or politicians, or famous in any sort of way. My heroes are real, every day people. These are people who don't get blasted all over Facebook for doing what so many have done before them.
Now, how do I get to the place that they are? Am I not extraordinary enough? I know I don't have a great following. Am I not clever enough? I know I don't trick people into one thing or another. Am I not loud enough? There is always someone bigger, louder and more annoying than me. Am I not pretty enough? Beauty always gets more likes. Am I not mean enough? I know I definitely don't scare anyone. Do I not have the right job? I am just a lowly, home-educating mom who spreads her own propaganda onto her children. Am I not educated enough, or maybe too much? Seems to me the people who are listened to are either over-educated or are minimum wage workers.
We should look at the dictionary's definition of hero:
hero, noun
: a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities
: a person who is greatly admired
: the chief male character in a story, play, movie, etc.
Well, I guess I am not any of those. What about another definition of hero. According to Wikipedia, a hero's original definition is:
This definition originally referred to marital courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.
Interesting. Let's look at the really original definition of what a hero is:
Romans 15:1-2 ESV
We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.Because God's Word is truth, and the origins of truth, I can see what I am lacking is really nothing at all. I am a hero according to The Word. The Word is not lacking in every day "speak," as you will. Every day speak should always be routed around truth. Because every day speak is mostly not, we are often speaking and hearing ignorance before that truth ever comes into play.
Where do I find these heroes of God's, the ones that help the weak, serve others, and build up his neighbor? I certainly find that in my own home not only in our personal hero, but in our children. I find it in myself. I was thinking that a great deed needed to be done to be looked up to. I was thinking that I needed to be on television or write a book or donate money or be a big name somewhere to be a hero. I was wrong. All I need is to be myself and to not skate by. Skating is not an option for a hero. I think that's the line that actually separates us.
With all that said, my husband is still a hero that I will always look up to. If I needed to defend my country, I would, but I would never sign a contract to do so. I would never wear dog tags or combat boots. I would never go for days without knowing how my family was faring. He is braver than I and I will never compare myself to him.
I looked up the following verse for him. I think that this explains what all heroes will ultimately have to do:
Ephesians 6:10-18 ESV
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness

No comments:
Post a Comment