Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Monday Morning Social Media Musings and You're Wrong


Once again I have encountered the following adjectives on a Christian Homeschool  Facebook Site: stupid, dumb, idiotic, sinful, judgmental, angry, foolish, unbiblical, uneducated, guilty, and the likes.  Let me mention this, these words are all used in the same thread.  What were these women talking about?  The original post was something along the lines of this: Do you believe that it is a sin for a Christian parent to send their children to public school?  Just posting that question on a primarily homeschool site you will get a number of very different responses that are all correct in the minds of the posters.  How many different responses will you get and which ones are actually correct?

To answer the question we need to first look at a Biblical stand-point (which you know there were several references of scriptures, doctrine, and Christian philosophies, I may just have been beating a dead horse if I tried to include my response in with theirs).

First let’s embrace the following no matter what your opinion on the topic is:

Proverbs 3:5-6 NASB

Guidance, Receiving God'sBrokenheartedBeing A ServantBad InfluenceBecoming More Like ChristAdvice, Receiving God's AdviceReceptivenessAbrahamHeart, And Holy SpiritControlling EmotionsSolutions To InsecurityCourtingGuardiansBankrTrust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Colossians 3:20 NASB


YouthParentsSubmissionRespect, For Human BeingsChildren, Good KidsFathers, Responsibilities OfObedient To ParentsPleasing GodChildren, Attitude Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.

 

Next we should look at what the very first piece of education that children should be taught after they are taught to obey their parents.  Jesus said, “Let the little children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”  Matthew 19:14.  Since I don’t want to disagree with the Son of God, I will not hinder my children’s draw to the Savior. 
 

 
The above verses are what I would draw attention to if I were one of the women claiming that sending children to public school was a sin, which I do not agree with, but I do agree with what the verse is saying.  It is telling us to let our children believe in Christ with their child-like faith.  To let them fall into His arms and to love Him for what He is.  Let them choose Christ despite their parents’ beliefs or opinions.  Let them choose the Kingdom of Heaven for it is them who will inherit it someday.  I do truly believe that attendance in public school does not foster a relationship between student and their faith.  In fact they teach all about a different religion: Evolution.  Some may argue that Evolution is a scientific term.  Maybe it is, but it also takes FAITH to believe in it and FAITH “evolves” around religion.

There are so many other ways that being a Christian in a public school is often frowned upon.  We all read headlines, blog posts, gossip columns, and the likes.  Don’t wear your WWJD t-shirt to school because it’s offensive, don’t read your Bible during quiet reading because it’s offense, don’t say “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Easter” because it’s offensive, and don’t invite anyone to your church because that’s offensive as well.
 
Now let’s look at the other side of the argument.  I do not see anywhere in the Bible that actually mentions “Public School.”   Actually, it doesn’t really say much about school at all other than being educated in God’s Word.  There is a verse about being salt and light in the World.  This is also a hot topic that I have discussed in another post called:  http://answersforthelight.blogspot.com/2014/04/salt-and-light.html  Salt and Light

dependenceKingdom Of God, Entry IntoAge OThe verse says that “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. “ Matthew 5:13-16 ESV

This verse may elude to people sending their Christian child into a setting that contains non-believers and letting them be the light of Christ.  This could be the argument in favor of public education.

One last piece of malarkey from the Facebook post that I read is that some people are knowingly sending their children into the lion’s den to fend for themselves thus making these parents sinners.  I see no clout in this argument and here is why: what if there is a single mom who has no choice but to send her child to the local school because she cannot a.) homeschool because she works full time b.) afford private school c.) see a and b.  What about the two parents who cannot afford to have one stay home to educate their children?  Also, what about the parent who does stay home but has emotional or physical ailments that hinder their educating abilities (or those who flat out don’t feel that they’re smart enough)?  Finally, what about those parents who simply say the following, “ I cannot believe school has been out for only three days?  These kids are driving me nuts!”  Does that mean they are not Christians who love their children?  It only means that they value their alone time.  I don’t agree with being a parent who doesn’t parent, but that doesn’t mean that they are sinning for sending their children off to be educated by someone else.

My opinion, and that of most homeschoolers is this: why have children if you feel that educating them is not your own personal responsibility?  You can take that one of two ways: 1.) you feel that it is necessary to personally educate your children in a way that is appropriate and in the realm of your beliefs or 2.)you do your best to find an appropriate education outside of your home that falls in line with your family’s belief.  What do I choose?  Homeschool.  School at Home. Home Education.  Call it as you will.  I call it appropriate, God-honoring, family focused, and superior to our other options.

No matter what you choose, know this:

Joshua 1:9 NASV


God's Help In DiscouragementdiscouragementGod, The LordBeing A SoldierAssurance in the life of faithOvercoming DiscouragementAdultsLonelinessPeace, Divine In OtSpiritual Warfare, As Confl"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

No comments:

Post a Comment