I "grew-up" Catholic until I was ten years old. That's when we started attending a Non-Denominational Church and eventually an Evangelical Free Church. As a Catholic, I really didn't learn much. I mostly learned how to hold my hands when I took Communion and to be afraid of the priest when it's time for Reconciliation. I always believed in God and that His Son was born a man to die to save us all from our sins if we had faith in Him. It came natural for this faith to be apart of my life, always.
So with that said, I have always chuckled at Catholics this time of year and thought that we didn't need to give up "stuff" for Lent, that it was a silly tradition and that God loved us even in our materialism. Well, it is true, He does love us no matter what and wants us to have faith in His Son so we can be with Him for eternity. What does sacrificing chocolate and coffee and television have to do with salvation? Nothing, really.... but sacrificing material "needs" when we have come to rely on them might start to open our eyes to all that Christ sacrificed for the World, for us, for me.
What is Lent? Lent means "spring time."
Why give up something or fast? Christ fasted for 40 days as He prepared for His ministry. Christ eventually gave up his life to prepare a way for us to Heaven. He gave up LIFE. Instead of longing for our chocolate or social media, we can turn our thoughts towards Christ's sacrifices and towards repentance and reflection. This is not just for the Catholic tradition. This is for all traditions.
Why do we not fast on Sundays during Lent? Sunday is the day on which Christ arose so we must celebrate His resurrection for our salvation. So I suppose we can eat our chocolate and watch our television shows and play on our social media. You don't have to and still enjoy the day by praying and worshiping Christ. You can still reflect on the sacrifices He has given and not worry about what you have given up. Tweet about it after Easter, or even better, Tweet about the Good News on Easter!
Have I given up something this season? I have decided to do so and have this to say about it:
Matthew 6:16-18 ESV
“And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
Sometimes it is hard to not say, "Look at me, I gave this up." Sure, I get it. I have told two people the main things that I have given up in order to hold me accountable. I have never given up something in order to feel like I am closer to God, to Christ. When I am tempted to repeal what I agreed to myself to give up, I hold back, take a breath, know better, and move on. I think after 46 days I will eventually get it, and feel cleansed by what I have given up. I will feel closer to my faith and see a bit more clearly God's plan for me.
A side note: I taught my three girls about why we give up little luxuries for Lent. They thought it was a good idea to give up something that they enjoyed as well. My two younger daughters are very excited about serving God through this process. My oldest caught herself doing something she gave up and felt remorse. She realized what she did and repented. I think we can learn a great lesson from her.

No comments:
Post a Comment